Wednesday, July 01, 2015

SiteMeter

So is SiteMeter dead?

It has been acting wonky for the past week or so and right now the badge on the bottom right of this page is no longer loading. The web site is still there, but it hasn't been updated for a while. (The last post under the "news" section is from February 2009).

It's too bad. I check SiteMeter virtually every day, although it would also not be very surprising. Blogs have been in decline since, well, since about 2009. SiteMeter isn't just for blogs, but I think that's where they got most of their business. It was only a matter of time before someone over there thought it was no longer worth it.

At least StatCounter is still going strong. Plus Blogger has its own in-house stat monitoring system that didn't exist when I started this taco stand so I never got in the habit of looking at. Still, SiteMeter has been logging visits for this site longer than any of those other services.  If it goes, my hits from my first few years will disappear and I will have even less of an idea what the total number is.